CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Dream Come True

I think every little girl has a dream about what they want to be when they grow up. I always wanted to grow up, get married, and have a family. That dream came true for me and I am a happily married woman with four wonderful children. I do not think that I was different from most little girls in that way, but I also had another dream. A dream that I had never shared with anyone. I have dreamed for as long as I can remember that someday I would meet the family that I never knew.
My parents divorced when my sisters and I were very young. I have only a few memories of my father's side of the family, and I try to hold on to those. I was so young that I did not even know what my father looked like. I could have passed him on the street and I would have neve
r known it. I did not know what my grandparents looked like. (I have a few memories of my grandmother when I was small, but I was so young that I didn't remember what she looked like either.)
My grandfather passed from this life within days of me giving birth to my oldest child. I have only known this fact for the last year, and I often wonder if that is
the reason that I was never told by my mother's family. My grandmother passed from this life on December 31, 2003 and I found out about it when my other grandmother gave me her obituary. A world of emotions filled me that day and it brought that dream I had as a child to the front of my thoughts. I had emotions of sadness, and regret over waiting too long to find my grandparents. I was too afraid to ask my mom for any information for fear of hurting her. So with that obituary I now had the names of those I was related to. I had not known their names before. I laminated the obituary and tried to do some searching on the internet. I had no success, but I did have the names of everyone now. Then, on August 4, 2008 I received an e-mail from my sister with the subject entitled "Look". Imagine my surprise when I opened the e-mail and in it was the online version of my father's obituary. I was so upset with the cold way in which I had found out about his death.
I was determined more than
ever that I did not want to go through the rest of my life without meeting my aunts and uncle. I decided to try the internet one more time and found the address of one of my aunts. I wrote her a letter within a week or two of the death. I waited and waited for a reply, but never heard anything. Through this whole process I had prayed many times that the Lord would allow me to meet someone from the family. I needed to see a picture of the man who gave me life, and of my grandparents. I wanted more than anything to know what they looked like. Days, then weeks, and finally months passed without any word. I cried so often about the fact that no one wanted to meet me. I continued to pray, and as with all things the Lord answers prayer in His time not ours. Then, in February of this year I found the only cousin I have any memories of on the internet. Ashley is her name and she is the daughter of my Uncle Dale. Ashley put me in contact with Dale and on February 9 I was reunited with him after more than 30 years. It was such a special night and one that I will never forget. Dale gave me pictures of my father and my grandparents and I finally knew what they looked like. He shared with me memories of my father and grandparents. I told him I wanted to meet my aunts, but nothing ever came about. Then, I found my cousin Katie on Facebook, yes Facebook. Through her I found another cousin Janna on Facebook. Janna has been such a great help to me. She started the ball rolling with trying to get my aunts together to meet me.
Imagine my excitment when Janna sent me a message through Facebook. I had not only found a relative, but one who was actually excited about it. Janna is a sweetheart and she and I have so much in common. We talked on the phone for two hours the week we found each other. It saddens me that she lives so far away from me, because we get along so well.
Anyway, for the story you've all been waiting for. This past Saturday June 28, I was reuntied after more than 30 years with my three aunts and three of my cousins. It was a day that I will never forget! A day that for me ranks right up there with my wedding day and the births of my children.
The day started with my husband and I arriving at my Aunt Polly's house. (AKA Janna's mom) I was so scared and nervous about going. I wondered what they would think of me. Did I favor any of them, were they going to like me? What should I say to them, and what were they going to say to me? I was so worried that they would want to know why I had waited so long to find them, and to be honest I question that myself. I cannot change the past, but I do have control over the future. Each of my aunts hugged me as they arrived, but I could tell that they were as nervous as I was at the beginning. We had lunch, and then the talking began. It did not take long for us to warm up to each other and I went away feeling very loved. I had longed for this day for so many years and it had finally arrived.
I learned many things that day, but one of the most important things I learned was that my grandparents loved me and my sisters very much. There were many tears shed and I'm glad that I had my aunts to shed them with.
I told myself that if I could just meet them once I would be content, but I find myself selfishly wanting more. Everyone has their own families, and their time is precious, but I find myself not wanting to let go.
One special surprise they had for me was a quilt that my grandmother had made with her own two hands. They said she made many quilts and I was so honored that they wanted me to have one. I am such a sentimental person and this gift meant more to me than all the money in the world. It has a special place on my quilt rack.
Now I will share some pictures I have been given and those from the reunion.
Uncle Dale and myself in February isn't he a handsome man


Me and Janna

Sissy and myself
Me and Mandi
Aunt Lee and myself
Me and Aunt Gail
Aunt Polly and myself
The cousins
Everyone together

This next picture is of my aunts and myself. I realized after I returned back home and was looking, that we were in the same order that my aunts had been in when they had taken a picture with my grandparents years ago. I had a peaceful feeling knowing that I was standing in their place as this picture was taken.
Aunt Lee, Aunt Polly, Myself, and Aunt Gail Aren't they beautiful!

Aunt Lee, Aunt Polly, my grandparents, and Aunt Gail
The quilt my grandmother made

I know this is more than just the story of our reunion, but I felt like some background was needed. I truly feel blessed by the opportunity I was given and I will forever be thankful.
Love is a wonderful thing to be given and I think that
I Corinthians 13: 4-8 says it best.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8
Love never fails.
As stated in verse 5 love keeps no records of wrongs. This was proven true on Saturday. I love my family very much and am so grateful for each of them.

Dawn

2 comments:

Megan said...

Such a great story! And such a special time!

Anonymous said...

I am rolling on the floor laughing at that old picture of Mom, Lee, and Gail!!!! Mawmaw and Pawpaw look like, well, Mawmaw and Pawpaw. The rest, well, the hair is cringe worthy!

I am curious about your memories of Ashley - I will admit that I have no idea how old she and Blake are, but aren't they younger than you?

I am just now recovering from the week! My neighbor's kids will be here all day tomorrow - I have already planned my "camp schedule" for the day. My internet time may be very limited depending on how well they all play together!

Love you!