CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Learning Experience for Me

I did something new this week that I have never done before. I canned green beans (in a pressure cooker). I can remember seeing others can before, but I have never done it myself. This was a total learning experience for me, I have always wanted to learn to can. All of this started when one of our members at church said they had some green beans that we could have. My hubby went Sunday afternoon and picked them. Then he came home and told me that he had borrowed the members pressure cooker and I was going to can green beans. You can imagine the look on my face when he told me this. I said "I don't know how to can". My hubbies response was "well we are going to do it." He ended up going out and buying me a pressure cooker of my own, which I was very excited about. (I get excited over things like this, I'm not sure why.) We canned 20 quarts between Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Then late Tuesday the same member called and said they had another row of beans that we could have. Since I had gone to the doctor Tuesday with a terrible sinus infection I was out of commission for this batch. My wonderful hubby put up 21 quarts on Wednesday. I will have to confess that I only did the first part of washing, cooking, and packing the beans in the jars. My wonderful hubby took care of the dangerous part of watching the pressure cooker.
Enjoy the pictures of the fruits of our labor, I know we will enjoy them when we pop that first jar.


My hubby and Mark breaking the beans
Our first canner of beans
Our first 20 quarts of Purple Pod green beans
The boys thought is was so neat that the beans were purple when we broke them and they turn green when they are cooked. I will admit that is pretty cool!


Our second batch of beans were rattlesnake beans so they are green from the beginning. Have I mentioned that I was a city girl and I know nothing about a garden or canning. My hubby planted a late garden this year, so we are having our first garden ever. I will be very busy come Fall.

Have a good week, and don't get use to having two post in one week!

Dawn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am continually amazed at how domestic you are! I have canning visions but I don't really have a place to put the fruits of my labor!

Good for Mike for finishing the canning for you. That was so sweet!

As for the pressure cooker, although I spent my early years scared to death of them, I would love one, too. I am a kitchen gadget freak. Have you heard about my crockpot addiction? It's legendary around here!

I hope you are feeling better now! I have to make a trip to the homeschool store tomorrow to pick up our grammar and then we are set for most of the year! Of course, I'm still working on preschool stuff for Will but I have made progress!