CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 3, 2009

Our First Day of School





Today we started our first day of school for the 2009-2010 school year. This year we have three that are schooling at one time. Our day started with the oldest two getting up before me, (I didn't plan to wake until 7 a.m. since I had a late night) and waking me to announce that they had both taken a shower. My oldest is an early riser on a normal basis, getting up anywhere from 6:00-6:30 a.m. This morning the oldest two were up at 6:40. I could hear them giggling from behind my closed bedroom door. I finally decided that it was time for me to arise and start the day. The oldest two had already had their breakfast and I quickly drank my Slim Fast and straightened up a few things before our 8:00 a.m. schedule was to begin.
My hubby had made out this wonderfully typed up schedule for us to follow and so we started with that. We didn't schedule anything with Matthew until 9 a.m. so he could be well rested. This also gives me some time to work with my daughter on her reading without interruption from a younger child.
On a normal basis my hubby will help with some of the schooling, which I am very thankful for, but today he had to go and pick more green beans. I was left all alone with a schedule that was starting to over lap with children finishing work sooner than they had been scheduled for. Of course part of them finishing early had to do with the fact that some things are review so they were not learning new concepts. Anyway, our day was started and finished before lunch which is not normal, but today we took it.
Matthew loved that he was able to start school and I love seeing him get excited about learning. We are learning our numbers with counting the first 100 days of school. I saw where Roan
had done this last year with her Leah. I thought it was such a neat thing to do, so I added it to our daily routine. We are doing Saxon Phonics with him as well so today we learned the letter L and the /l/ sound. Mark sat while we went over most of the things, but I doubt he will do it on a daily basis. I would not mind if he did so he could pick up on some things, but we will have to see. Matthew also enjoyed learning some math with Math U See. We will read books as well, it just was not in the cards today.
I'm hoping that I can get all of this canning done and our lives will get back to as normal as it can for us crazy people.
Here are some pictures from our first day of school, most of them are Matthew and Mark.
Madison

Micah


Matthew

Mark

Writing the letter l

Math

They did pretty good cutting


So there you have it, our first day of school. I hope the rest of the week goes as easy as today, minus a few interruptions.

Dawn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What cutie patooties!!

I would love to be as organized as you are! I know, I only have one in school but most days, I am assigning and correcting at the same time! (We do some testing, but not very much because I stay with a concept until he has it down cold.)

I wanna be like you when I grow up! lol! (and we'll leave my age out of it, thank you)

Roan said...

I love the signs the children are holding in the photos. What a super idea! I want to do that next year!
Remember, your schedule is your tool, your guide. Don't stress if if doesn't go exactly as planned. Also, you may have to tweak it the first couple of weeks.